Sunday, 2 May 2010

How did I get here?

It's kind of crazy; every now and then I sit and wonder..

"How did I get here..?"

Not that this isn't a good place to be;
I am surrounded by the most amazing people I think I've ever been blessed enough to meet, and I'm constantly learning new things.
I just never would have even imagined that God was going to bring me here.

Let me explain...

About 18 months ago I basically had my life planned out.. I know how crazy it sounds, especially given my age, but I think I just craved the security of it all.
I was going to go to medical school - I wanted to be a GP, I even knew I wanted to go to Nottingham Uni..
So I joined the list with 1000's of others and after a huge huge amount of work, work experience of various kinds, conferences for prospective medical students and 4 A level's, I sent off my application, and read "trust me, I'm a junior Doctor" whilst waiting for the responses.

4 Universities.

Not one of them even wanted to interview me.
Every plan I had was bulldozed in the space of about 3 weeks - And I absolutely completely and utterly freaked out.
In the midst of it all -
I was a terrified 18 year old, with no clue what I was doing anymore.
Medical School had been my entire focus for so long, I could barely see anything else.
And then I had a conversation, actually at Spring Harvest 09, it turned my world upside down:

What if Medical School was just not God's plan for my life?
Was I really willing to hand my future over to God?

It kind of set me thinking... Actually, here was my opportunity to totally give the whole thing over to God; Was I prepared to?
And so, as terrified as I was.. I started my gap year.

No plans, No idea at all, No anything.
Just the simple promise that God had a plan, and that his grace would be sufficient.

It is mindblowingly incredible how awesome God is.
I began to just look for things to get involved in, just hoping something would kind of grab me and show me the way..
I came across the Street Pastor website; and very aware of what it is like in Cardiff on a friday night, I jumped on a train the same day to go to a meeeting about it.
Ideal right? Only I could barely afford the train fare, let alone the £300 it required.
So, disillusioned (again).. I came home.

The next thing I know.. I'm sat in Caldicot with my parents, in the tent of the local baptist church, drinking tea, talking about street pastoring with them.
God works in mysterious ways.
Within a week I was training with them.
Within 2 weeks I started going to church there in the evenings.

I've found my place in the body of Christ there.

To cut a long story short(ish):

Life has never been busier;

I've discovered an absolute passion for taking the kingdom of God to young people, and I've found an absolutely amazing family in a church that is (totally unbelievably) willing to run with me on the absolutely mad journey I'm on, and give me the opportunities to do whatever it is that God is calling me to..
I start a degree in September in Youth and community work and Practical Theology...And I could not be more grateful to everybody that has helped me along my journey to get there.

If I've learnt anything (believe me, there are many things I've learnt..)
it's that God is so much greater than my circumstances.

God is so good.

So often I get things wrong - I am absolutely so far from perfect, but God is shaping me, and with his help I hope to be more and more like the person he created me to be every day.
It's amazing what he can do when I have a little faith.

I am a self confessed work in progress...
And this is just the beginning of my story.







No comments:

Post a Comment